8/10/17

Pets on Quilts: Pawtrait of The Emperor

Pets on Quilts 2017

For this entry in the Greatest Show on Earth, I want to show you another of my favorite cats in the whole wide world of quilting. This handsome fellow is The Emperor.


His mom, Robin, was kind enough to send me his image, and The Emperor was kind enough to put on his best tuxedo so I could capture his likeness in fabric. This is The Emperor's Pawtrait.


All pawtraits start with a good image of the honoree, which is then "amped up" in saturation to bring out its details.


Then, a "posterized" version of the image is created.


From the posterized image, a transparency is created, 


which becomes the template used to create the appliqued pieces for the final pawtrait.


When all the pieces are in place, 


the whole is fused to a background fabric.


Then, borders are added,


and then it is sandwiched for finishing. 

From there, details are added with free-hand machine embroidery, and then the piece is quilted and trimmed for binding.


The Emperor was such an impurrtant furriend, that I had plenty of supurrvision from the resident mancat about the house, Smitty. 


And then the quilt was shipped off to its most impurrtant critic, The Emperor. And I think he appurroves!


The Emperor was kind enough to allow his mom, Robin, to examine his pawtrait.


It makes a nice addition to the walls of his home on the east coast.


This is the completed Pawtrait of The Emperor.


Here's how it looks from the back.


The Pawtrait of The Emperor is an original design from Robin's photograph of The Emperor. It is fusible applique and free motion quilted on my domestic machine. It finishes up at 14 x 11.5 inches, which makes it a small wall-hanging. The Emperor and I hope that you like his pawtrait. We're entering this quilt in the Pet-themed quilt category.


My sincere thanks go to Robin for lending me her handsome kitty for the creation of this quilt.

You can find my other entry into the Pets on Quilts show right here.

Now head on back there to the Pets on Quilts show and give my fellow pet quilters some great quilty love, purrs, barks, and chirps...or however you give voice to your cheering.

23 comments:

Debbie said...

Super, super, super.....great job. He is a beauty too!

Lena Pugacheva said...

Great job! His name so suits him and you captured the dignity perfectly! Thanks for sharing the process.

Quilting Babcia said...

I love this and all the other pawtraits you've created!

works4me said...

You certainly have mastered the pawtrait process. Another lovely quilt.

liniecat said...

You make it sound so easy lol
Fingers crossed for you ( both!)

Susie said...

What a wonderful quilt and thank you for showing us how it was made. I envy anyone who can do this as I just make quilts, art quilts really are a piece of art. Hugs, Susie x

Heide said...

what a super finish.

Pinkflorentina said...

You captured him beautifully. Could I ask what software/app you use in the process? Thanks

Dana Gaffney said...

It's nice to see this one again, it came out purrfect.

Sally Trude said...

Dearest MATH (Mancat About The House),

I was surprised to see that you are no longer the primary object of affection and are now just a MATH. I would suggest you get out of town and hideout for about a month. Maybe when you get back you will bring your mojo back with you.

Respectfully,

Molly

kc said...

Said it before, but happy to say it again Sam, STUNNING! Simply STUNNING!

You've absolutely captured his personality and regal-ness...great job! Color choices really set off his tux!!

Agnes B. Bullock said...

You are truly a fabric artist!

Brown Family said...

I love this wall hanging!

Kate said...

You captured the Emperor perfectly!

Ruth said...

Really enjoyed reading this. great likeness.

Louise said...

Wow, what a great little piece! You've really captured the Emperor so well. I'm sure Robin is thrilled :)

quiltzyx said...

Bravo! It was good to see the Emperor again!

Michele T said...

Peefection... right down to the teeny tiny hairs!!! Wow, I am impressed!! Thanks for sharing how you created your quilted portrait.

Lynette said...

Wow! Well done! How did you do those eyes???! :)

Debi said...

Beautiful! Your quilt is outstanding and so is the Emperor! Thanks for sharing.

Loris said...

Awesome rendering! I hope to get busy capturing the images of my animals again too. That initial sketching/tracing part seems to hold me up. Thanks for the inspiration!

Monica said...

Very well done! A cat portrait is on my list of things to try, too. :D

Missy Shay said...

Great job!